Friday, July 6, 2018

The move went well


Padre, 

     I sent you two pictures. One of which is a close-up of my tag to answer what the white thing on the bottom of my name tag is. Basically, I'm in a pilot program called SYL which stands for Speak Your Language. There are five steps to this program and they are:

1. Try in the language first. 
   They want you to try saying whatever it is that you are trying to say in Italian so that way you are applying what you know all the time. 
2. Use what you know 
   Don't feel like if you cant say it in Italian you shouldn't say it at all. Use as much Italian as you can but mix in the words that you don't with your native language. 
3. Ask permission 
   If you just don't know how to say anything you want to in Italian, ask permission to speak in English or your native tongue 
4. Find out how 
   Ask how to say those words in Italian and then work on remembering them for next time 
5. Do something more 
   What can /will you do to make sure this doesn't happen again? How will you better study and learn the language? 

     It's supposed to get us in the mindset of using our mission languages all the time and then after about three to four weeks, we are only supposed to be using our mission languages to communicate with our teachers, the investigators that the MTC brings in form outside or calls on Skype that we teach for twenty minutes in Italian (We start those calls in about four days) and members who just want to be of help to the church and let missionaries teach them. They come in for workshops and we get critiqued on how to better connect with people, how to turn any situation into a contacting one and how to tun almost any rejection into an opportunity for a pass along card or an invitation to visit LDS or Mormon.org. 
     I'm able to read my emails everyday because when I got here, I was given and I-pad. They want us that will have devices on our missions to start learning how to use them here in the MTC so that we will be more effective in the field and not have to wait for a few months before we are able to effectively use and incorporate them into our lessons. So send emails anytime during the week and I'll be glad to get them. 
     In my district there are 9 missionaries that are headed to Italy. I sent you a picture of all of us as well. Three of the Nine if us are headed to Rome, and that would be myself, my companion and the Elder who is in the middle of the picture with the blue tie. in total there about 23 missionaries headed to Italy, seven going to Rome and the rest to Milan.
     Anziano De La Rosa and I are getting along ok, and we are both working on our Italian so that we can better hold a conversation, or just a conversation at all. I've been teaching him English and he's been correcting my pronunciation of Italian words and "giving you an accent that isn't so Americano". I appreciate his concern and am working as hard as I can to learn a language that is so different from my own. 
     Also, in other news, my black shoes finally stopped giving me blisters and hurting my feet. And, the other day as I was walking to class, I was called to by first name by a missionary that used to come to our house when you were Ward Mission Leader. I didn't catch his name or rather I don't remember it. But I thought it would be fun to tell you that he remembers us and is excited to hear that we moved. We didn't talk long because I had class but he said it was fun getting to know us. Also, the Fourth of July away from home was interesting because we obviously couldn't stay up until 12 watching the fireworks but we couldn't sleep because of the fireworks. I got to see a few para-sailors jump out of a plane and trail with a blaze of sparks for about two minutes. It was fun but bittersweet because I won't be able to watch those again until I get back from Italy. The have fireworks there but they don't use as many of them or as often. I have only one question for you and that is: What can I do to better learn the language? Rather, what did you do to better learn the language?
Ciao for now! 

Anziano Anderson.







No comments:

Post a Comment