Monday, October 22, 2018

Transfer Calls


     I'm getting this one out a little bit later than I normally do, but that's alright because I have a valid reason for doing so. As you read the title of this email I'm sure you can gather roughly what my day consisted of but for those of you who don't know, a transfer call is the call we get every six weeks on a Monday morning around 8:30 for the Anziani (8:00 for the Sorelle) here we are told where will be spending the next 6 to 12 weeks of our mission. 

Pizzas eaten: 36
Gelato: 23
Books of Mormon: 49

Sections: 
- Life with a "Dying" Missionary
- So Much Food and Gifts 
- Cleaning house and rearranging things

Life with a "Dying" Missionary

     First and foremost my companion was not actually dying. That's just mission slang for "going home". The whole time Anziano Daniels has been training me, he has been "dying" because he was in the final two transfers of his mission. He went home today, and it was a little surreal watching the train pull out of the station at 7 am with the rest of my zone standing with me because there were three other missionaries on that train as well that were finishing their missions. 
     These last two transfers (and my only two in the field so far) I can tell are full of experience and obedience to the mission rules. When I started the mission, all I saw were rules and restrictions that kept me from what some might say "experiencing Italy to it's fullest". But, I've noticed that being 95% obedient to what the lord wants and then 100% obedient brings different amounts of blessings. Not just 5% difference, but a very noticeable and very useful difference that can't be quantified in numbers. 
     About half an hour after I watched my Companion leave, I had the opportunity to watch all the Anziani and Sorelle in my Zone receive their calls that told them some of them were going to Sicily and others to Rome before my phone started to ring. I'll get to where I was called in a minute. 

So Much Food and Gifts

     During this week, I cooked a total of Zero times. We had a lunch or dinner planned every single night for the last week we were here and usually lunch AND dinner every day. Needless to say, I gained a pound or two. This week has also consisted of buying gifts for the family of Anziano Daniels and the stuff he got was kinda awesome. Unfiltered olive oil, Parmigiano cheese blocks, Salami and a variety of trinkets and perfumes for different members in the family. I can't say I won't be doing the same thing for my family in two years, because that's a brilliant Idea. 
     During his last meal here in Castellammare before he went home, the person that we baptized my first transfer here, Liborio, invited us over to his house for a very authentic Italian dinner. During this colorful and very tasty meal, some gifts were brought out from under a table for Anziano Daniels. A very expensive tie and a book that caused him to start crying. Why? I don't know. It's been a very eye-opening week this last week for me emotionally, and it's made me that much more appreciative of the people I left back home. 

Cleaning House and Re-arranging Things

     In my call today, I was not transferred anywhere. I get to remain in Castellammare but, I don't get one companion. I get two. I'm in a trio starting this Wednesday for at least six weeks with an Anziano Baker and Officer. Fun fact, Anziano Officer came in the transfer before me. When I got to the MTC, he had left that day at 6 am or so and was on his flight out here to Italy when I was in my first language class so he's also a greenie like me.
     When I got that news I decided to re-arrange things so when they get here on Thursday the apartment is already prepared for three Anziani. The only thing I can do at this point is wait and see what my new companions are like and hope that I don't get any companions that don't want to do anything. But if I do, it'll make a great story. 

Spiritual Thought:
Wo to him who thinks all is well in Zion 
2 Nephi 28
I invite all of you to read this chapter in the Book of Mormon. You can download it in the Google Play or iTunes Appstore if you don't have a physical copy. There is always something that we can be doing, and usually something better that we should be doing. 

Pictures: 



Anziano Anderson

4. The dinner I mentioned
1. Amerigo Vespucci. Look it up, it's a really cool ship I got to walk around on
2. Anziano Daniels as we were headed to the station today
3. Me waiting in a sea of people to get on this boat
5. The party we had at Anziano Daniels last English Course







No comments:

Post a Comment