Monday, October 15, 2018

How Does the Mission Actually Work?






     Recently I've been getting questions from all of you as to what actually happens during my mission that constitutes a mission aside from all the wacky or super cool stories that crop up during the week. I will discuss that after all the wacky and super cool stories that cropped up during this week. 

Pizzas Eaten: 30!

Gelato: 19

Books of Mormon: 46

Sections: 

- What I Consider to be Another Miracle
- My Scambio: Anziano Andersen Addition
- The Rattos
- I Got Asked on a Date
- Almost got Fed to Death
- Missionary Work

What I Consider to be Another Miracle

     Oh boy! I love pizza, and the only thing I love more than pizza is free pizza! last week on Monday I was waiting in line with all my Anziani buddies and a man from the front of the very long line to get in to the pizza resteraunt we were waiting for to open it's doors for the lunch crowd came back to talk with us. After we talked with him for a bit he told us he was a returned missionary (albeit 20 years returned) and then he just got to know us a little better. He left and we thought it was funny how quickly we got recognized on our Preparation day but as we were discussing it, he came back and tried to give us 50 Euro to pay for our lunch. The three Anziano I was with didn't want to take the money saying it was alright, we were OK but Ivan persisted to give the money to us. 
     I ended up with 50 Euro and the bill at the end of the meal. I don't regret anything and the pizza was awesome. The resteraunt also had the most expensive pizza in the world on it's menu costing around 8,500,000 Euro. Don't know what was on it, but I'll let you know if anyone does buy the pizza. 

My Scambio: Anziano Andersen Edition

    Come Wednesday, we have a thing called "district council" where one of the missionaries in our district gives a lesson on something we all asked for more information on or even to just teach us something that usually can only be learned through experience. Anyhow, after our meeting with The Ratto couple, Anziano Andersen and his companion who was in the MTC with me, Anziano Blanchard, and my companion and I, we switched companions. It was Anderson and Andersen (that's really fun to explain to people) and we headed back to Battipaglia. It's a little town a few hours away from anything super fun but with some of the best Mozzarella in all of Italy. I was happy. 
     Well, Battipaglia is very small so everyone who lives in the city knows us if not because we've stopped them three times to ask them a different question, then because we are always wearing white shirts and messenger bags with a blue book. We taught two people with interest in a lesson the hour I got back and it was really cool because one of them didn't have any thumbs but had really nice handwriting, and she loved to write. She also has dyslexia and loves to read, so we said we would give her a copy of the Book of Mormon the next time we had a meeting and she was ecstatic. 

The Rattos 

     The Rattos are the senior couple in my Zone. They are from Argentina and were supposed to be in Brazil for their mission in the first visitors center for the temple they were building there ever. But because of reasons, the center was not going to be done for a few more years, so they were instead told they needed to come to Italy after they already learned Brazilian. They love to cook for us and they try to do that at least once or twice a transfer when they know we're running low on food and money to buy more. 
     They are some of the funniest and most christ-like people that I know with hearts of gold. I'll include pictures of everything I've mentioned so far at the end of the email. 

I Got Asked on a Date

     I love Italians as a people, I really do. They're very honest, upfront and don't like to waste time with unnecessary niceties when a simple "Wow, that sucks! " will suffice. Of curse this does hinder my efforts to teach when everyone I try to stop just puts their hand in my face and says "Non me interessa" and then walks away thinking we were Jehovahs witnesses. But sometimes we get some awesome people who listen ad want to know more about what it is that we do. This happened late at night on Saturday when we ran into a group of Raggazzaci who were all part of a band. They were all about 17-18 years old and had interest in the English course we taught. 
     While my companion was talking with the guitarist and drummer, their singer started talking to me, in as much English as she could muster, which was impressive because she only needed a few words from me to make complete and sensible sentances. After we had been talking about music and other things like that and how we were missionaries, Antonella asked me if I liked dancing. "I'm not very good at it, but I do enjoy a dance every now and again." was my reply. She was super happy and than grabbed my hands and asked if I wanted to go dancing with her in about an hour at a Bar just across the street. 
     It was at this point my companion looked over and saw me holding hands with this girl and my somewhat confused expression that turned a little into fear when I saw him looking because I knew what this looked like and I would have to explain it to him afterwards. (I did and he gets it so we're all good). I then re-explained to her how we are missionaries and are not allowed to do anything like that for the next few years but we would love to see them at English course. Disappointed but understanding, she invited us to a show they were having in the coming weeks. We then excused ourselves to make it home in time for the curfew of 9 that we have and invited them again to come to English course. 

I Almost Got Fed to Death

     Italians love to eat. Literally so much, and for a period of like two to three hours at a time for their lunch. I used to wonder why it took that long but now I know. After church yesterday we were invited to go to lunch with one of the bishopric counselors and his family. We got there and for the first course we had  heaping pile of pasta (and it was heaping for me, that's not just an expression it was a ridiculous amount of food) and then seconds of similar size after that. I thought we were done. I was very wrong. Following the pasta was a ull sixed chicken fried steak with a plate of salted and oiled lettuce. Still not done. Then there was a dessert of pound cake. Still not done. After that we had a couple oranges dropped on the table in front of us. 
     As my Mom knows I'm not much of a fruit fan. Or anything that is technically considered "not meat or carbs in some way" but I really liked these oranges. They were so juicy it was ridiculous trying to take two bites a slice, and it was easily fixed with just dropping the whole slice In your mouth. After this meal appointment I had trouble sitting, let alone breathing. But that was when my companion (who goes home in about 8 days) told me we have 4 more meal appointments like this planned for the coming week at various members houses. 

Missionary Work

     The way work here goes is fairly simple. We teach about 10 lessons a day, missionary discussions that is, to people we find on the street and then try to get their numbers but almost never succeed because they don't want to do anything that involves learning or changing. Or so they think. I hand out roughly 20 English course cards every day and almost nobody shows up to the course and if they do, it's only for the one time. I've mentioned English course before, but I don't believe I've told you how they work. Basically, my companion and I ask what the class wants to learn today, see where they are at skill-wise and then teach something that everyone can learn from and nobody feels over or under-whelmed by what they learn. 
     I don' t teach May formal lessons because the people here have a tendency to forget or to put something more fun oooooooover a meeting with the missionaries but I usually teach one or two lessons a day on average in a formal setting (excluding church because I teach the youth). 
     I've found telling people that claim they love God but don't go to church or follow his commandments that "faith without works is dead" they get really quiet because I'm using the Bible to call them to repentance. They try to bruxh us away because "you're too young to know what you're talking about" but when you can quote from memory more Bible than most of them have ever read in their lives they stop talking condescending and start walking very quickly. "Be bold but not overbearing" is a fun way to say "call them out but offer your help and don't cross the line".

Pictures: 

1. Me in front of one of the many castles Italy has to offer
2. Literally all of Battipaglia
3. Sorbillos pizza
4. Me just after getting asked to dance
5. The most expensive pizza in the world (menu edition) 

No comments:

Post a Comment