Sunday, January 6, 2019

Permesso in Palermo


Benvenuti tutti!

     As the title so wonderfully explains, I have permesso work in Napoli, where I started my mission. I fly down tomorrow and I'll be there for two or three days and hopefully I get back in time for English course on Thursday! I'm headed to Palermo right now though because we have zone calcio (soccer, but calcio translates to foot because they call it football here but calcio is synonymous) later today. I'm writing this email in a bus right now at 7 am my time. Or 0700 military time because that's what this whole country uses.

Pizzas Eaten : 43
Gelato : 37
Books of Mormon : 55 (we finally got more last Thursday after 3 transfers of asking for some) 


     I've noticed in every city I've been to, there is a monument somewhere to honor the soldiers that served in the World War. I've been asked if Italians have ositive feelings or negative feelings towards Americans because of our different alignments for some part of that war and all I can say Is this: 
- some Italians hate Americans but all of them have been old homeless men that literally make no sense and just yell ''Americani!'' in an angry voice at us while we are out proselyting. 
- Others are just like anyone else in America. Just like some people love for example, the British because of their accent or more stable economy, most Italians like us because we are agreeable ragazzi that are trying to learn the language and love to eat their food. Both of these things they love. Otherwise it's fair game as to whether or not they like us solely because we are missionaries. 

     This week was full of missionary goodness however, because we had lots of success in our finding efforts. These past two transfers in Agrigento we have had exactly 0 lessons with people or new people in church because it is a small city. However, this Sunday we had two less active members come back to church and so, we were able to teach them about the new two hour block and the extra hour to study at home, and how we were now having sacrament at 0900 instead of 1130. 
     Then, we had much success with our finding efforts. The Lord blessed us with  two new people to teach one of whom just loves to talk to missionaries of all religions because they have a love for their creator that he believes is lacking in today's society, especially here in Italy. We got his name, number, return appointment and gave him a restoration pamphlet. 
     The second person was a little more skeptical, but he also took a card, gave us his number and then asked us some questions about what made our church different from the other churches. 
     We finished doff the night with a wonderful, hour long chat with a man who has had much heartache in his life. As we passed by him, the little old man on a bench, I asked him in a form of Italian used only with close friends ''how are you doing?''  he asked us to sit down and then told us his life story more or less, and then tanked us profusely for being there that night. I have no doubt he's the reason we left the house yesterday night. Plus, we see him all over the place anyways. Agrigento is small after all. Oh, also, we finally (after three transfers) got some Books of Mormon to share ad use in our proselyting efforts! usually we need these once a transfer, but why not once every three?!?! 

     We also had a scambio this Thursday and Friday where I went to Caltanissetta (birthplace of the cannolo) with anziano Koford from my MTC group. Firstly I thought that it was an awesome  experience being able to be there with him, because I was able to see how we've gone from having trouble talking about ourselves to debating with Italians how '' just because we're American doesn't make us rich '' in Italian. 
     While I was there a few things happened. I snowed. 2 appointments canceled on us because of that inch of snow, we got pictures in the snow, we ouch ed a car up a hill that was stuck in the snow, te snow gear store was closed because of the snow and so we couldn't buy snow gloves, we got three people to commit to come to English course, we had a snowball fight in the street and threw snow over cars because an old man started it, and our companions managed to make it up to Caltanissetta at around 18:00 because of the snow that had halted any and all busses for 8 hours the second day until it had all melted. Then, we stood outside for an hour while it was raining, waiting for a bus that almost didn't come because of the snow that wasn't even around anymore. Italy shuts down in snow. 

     Italy is also very beautiful. Sure, we are prone to earthquakes (which I've had on my mission but nothing major) and volcanic eruptions (which I've also had, still nothing major) and rolling mountains which are absolutely beautiful. They also have wonderful people, beautiful siuls and delicious octopus meatballs. 
     Something Italy has that America doesn't would be four hour Sunday lunches, with four courses including a dessert and some weirdly good foods like octopus meatballs, pasta Al furno, and some salty salad. They also use military time here as a standard, and so, I'm trying to use the metric system as well as military time because it's what's used here as well as the dd/mm/yyyy format. 

The only other big thing that I can think of would be what I mentioned earlier and how I'm going to Napoli on the mainland to get my permesso. I'll let you all know how that goes when I'm done with that, next week. 

Anziano Anderson


2. My shirt ripped a little
1. This car got a different kind of snow
3. My everyday view
5. Me, in a real life snow globe! 
4. Snow in Caltanissetta! 







No comments:

Post a Comment