Tuesday, January 1, 2019

And so it begins....


 Fuoco artificio. Artificial fire. Also known as: Fireworks. However, this last Monday, while these were going ff, so we're some bombs. At least, it sounded that what and they were right outside of our window for quite a while. We tried to get to bed at 10:30 ish (not very hard) and about half an hour before the actual new year in Italy (I was asleep and awake before you even had yours back in the states) until about 2 in the morning. Even as I write this email at 14:30 here in Italy, I can still hear some fireworks going off. 

Pizzas eaten: 33
Gelato: 46
Books of Mormon: 55


     Alright! I'm sorry I didn't email last week, it was Christmas, and so, I had calls to my family and three meal appointments all in a row, one for every day starting on the 23rd after church where we were fed a nice pile of octopus meatballs. They were rather tasty and I didn't even realize that's what they were until after I heard the members talking about it. I knew we were going to be eating octopus, but I wasn't expecting a meatball form of the creature. It was rather interesting to see how much I've already forgotten what straight beef tastes like, and how it feels in my mouth. almost all beef you buy here unless it's in steak form, has anywhere from 20 to 40 percent pig in it because Italians don't like the taste of straight beef I suppose. At least, that's how I seem to find all my ground ''Beef''.

     A Volcano erupted not too far from where I live currently in this great country of Italy. I didn't feel too much from this big old thing going off, but I do have pictures! Thanks to another anziano in my district who can see this volcano from his house. I'm safe, as far as I know, no one died or was injured. but you know what did affect me this morning? Deep cleaning day!! we got up and to celebrate the new year and because my companion and I were so gosh darn excited to be in a new year, we were overcome with the desire to clean our apartments just like our Mission President told us to do! You can believe we did that. It's nice to have a super clean apartment.

     We found out this week that we should finally be getting our Books of Mormon sometime in the month of January! And I also learned a super fun thing about the month of February! Learning a Latin based language is fun because you learn things like this: Febbre. it's the word for Fever. So the month of Febbraio is literally the Month of Fevers in our calendar year. That's why we named it that. because the Romans figured out that cold and wet bring sickness and fevers, so this time every year is probably going to bring many fevers. Let's make sure we never forget that by naming the month after what it brings! Same goes for October, November  and December because those mean the eighth, ninth and tenth months, but then Julius Cesaer came around and named a month (July) after himself and so did Augstus.Illet you figure out what month he gave his name. That threw the other months out of the loop but they kept their names.

     I wasn't able to do a whole lot of proselyting this week because I had some cold or something that knocked me over for a day and then when we were able to go outside, there was nobody to be found because they were either all shopping for the new years parties they were planning on hosting, or they were teenagers making out with each other. There's a lot of that going on here in Italy.

     One thing of note however, I'm going to be heading back to Napoli this Tuesday because I have permesso work! that means they fly me from Sicilia to Napoli (one hour flight) and then from Napoli to wherever I have to go to get my fingerprint appointment (usually a police station) and then I might either spend the night or, take a flight from napoli to Rome and then from Rome to Agrigento. You can fly to napoli from Sicilia, but not from Napoli to Sicilia because there are not enough people who want to go to Sicilia from napoli for it to be worth it for the plane companies. Then, in about another month or so I'll be headed back to Napoli to get the actual card itself. By that point, it will be almost expired and then unless it's a two year ( which napoli doesn't really give out that often) I'll have to repaet this process again until i'm able to go home.

     if you have ny questions about anything specifically, feel free to send them to me any time during the week, and i'll try to include the answers either in this, my weekly or in a personal letter to you. 

Ciao for now!

Anziano Anderson








No comments:

Post a Comment