Tuesday, October 8, 2019

Fifteen Hours on a Train and One on a Boat


Ciao Tutti! 

     As I type this, I want you all to know that my monitor is a literal television. I will attach a photo because as all the hip youth say nowadays "pics or it didnt happen!" and so in an effort to not be considered uncool by these same youths I will take a photo. But really though, it's super lit to be back in sicilia again. The last time I served here I was assigned to Agrigento, and it was two hours away from my current place in Palermo or "Paliemmu" thanks to the dialect that is Siciliano. Here be the digits for my mission so far:

Pizza: 78? (don't have my journal on mr right now so I'm guessing)
Gelati: 52
Books of Mormon: 98 (I remember this number)

     I didn't write last week on monday because of the three day span that was between my last email and preperation day. I won't say that the time between then and now wasn't interesting because it's always interesting thanks to general conference and the modern revelation that pertains to those days. If you haven't seen conference because of something that is not of eternal significance, I invite you to correct that and watch it as soon as you can. Now then, away we go! I don't want to put every single detail in this email because that would take way too long, but here are the highlights of some of the days.

     Thursday was transfer day and I spent no less than 15 hours on a train that was headed from Roma to Palermo. There were next to no options for food or acess to water. That was cool I guess. I was able to have a great conversation with a woman from New York and to share the word about general conference. When that was done, I arrived in Palermo a half hour later and luckily, we live relatively close to the house and so, we trekked over there. The apartment is ginormous and I love it. 

     We have had a few meetings with our african members, and I've had more english lessons in this transfer with africans than I think I've had at all my whole mission up until this point. I have been called to work with africans and I feel like I'm in an entirely different mission, because I need to speak an entirely different language with them. It's a dialect of english called "Pigeon" which is basically what english would look like if it was an eagle and it's cousin came in and tried to do all the same things, but couldn't because it's a literal pigeon. it's a very simple version of the english language that most of the africans speak. it's so fun though, because it's not toooo hard to learn oddly enough. Plus, africans are very willing to work and listen to men of God.

     I visited the crypts today and it was ok I guess, I'm just not super into dead bodies that are strung onto the wall and have been there since the 16th century. It's something that I can safely say once is more than enough. We did a spesa, and now i'm taking shelter in the church because of the ludicrous amounts of rain that are pouring outside. I also bought a tie, but thats nothing super crazy just mission culture. this week was long, but not a whole lot of crazy experiences came up. my new companion and I are doing great, and he's worked with africans his whole mission just about, whereas I have not. there are many a thing I have yet to learn, but that's fine. That just means I have many chances to improve in the coming weeks.

until next time! 
Ti voglio bene

Anziano Anderson








No comments:

Post a Comment