Thursday, November 29, 2018

Just so you know, I Love You


Hey Dad, 

     I was writing in my journal last night and it hit me. I haven't really sat down and told you how grateful I am for you. I haven't told you all the things that you taught me and how I'm striving to be a better person because of what you taught me. I haven't really told you how all those hard nights or days or weeks with you, my brothers, sisters or other people helped strengthen me into the man that I am and the one I can become. But only because of the guidance that I received in those times from you (and Mom).  
     I suppose I'll start from when I was very little and from the earliest thing that sticks out In my mind and work my way to the present. When I was very little and we were either just coming back from the New Mexico move or just about to take it (I believe it was after) we went to the Flickingers old house and talked to the man that was living there because Brad had moved out a few weeks before. I don't know why we were there, but I do remember for some reason you brought me along and that I thought it would be a good idea to rip all the Christmas lights off of the little play pen that the man had put up. You both saw me doing that and I was very scared and shy because I knew what I had done was wrong. You demanded that I make an apology but I was to scared or shy to say anything at the time. I believe we went to the hardware store to buy some lights to replace the ones I broke and then to give me the opportunity to make things right with this man and to apologize to him for doing what I did and making restitution for what I did. There are many instances where something like this had happened, but this is the first time I can remember for myself that was the principal being taught. 
     Through my life I have had to use this and especially most recently with all the pain and trauma I caused Natalia and her family. I know there are some things that can't ever be fully repaired or fixed but it's my job to try my best to undo what I've done until the fault no longer rests with me and I've learned two things from each of these experiences. First, how to avoid these situations entirely and second, how to accept the blame for, and try to fix that which I have broken or shattered. 
     The next experience I have after this would be when I was around the age of eight or nine and In rabbitry 4-H. There was a period of about 24 hours where my rabbit was without food or water and it didn't have the ability to forage for food or to get water without my direct assistance. You and mom then told me that because I didn't take care of my rabbit and that it didn't get to eat or drink for 24 hours, neither did I. And so for the next 24 hours I was watched like a hawk by all of my siblings, you, and Mom. I remember going to Cub Scouts and wanting to eat the snack, but grandma passing me because she knew I wasn't supposed to eat either. This taught me the important lesson of being able to choose my actions, but not being able to choose the consequences good, or bad. 
     This has played a huge part in my life. I'm not the best at caring about what their people say I should care about or in showing any outside interest in listening to the things that people say I should or should not do. This includes you and mom over the little things as well. This is not because I don't love you but because I feel like I should be able to do whatever I want. However, because I can choose to do whatever I want, and I always have had that ability, it's blinded me to how much my selfish choices can and so often did hurt those around me before my mission. For example, when I went skydiving and it put Mom in a concern for my very life, and sent Regann off went I got home a few hours later. Not their decision, but a reaction to my choice. 
     A third experience is when I was ten years old and Regann and I really started not to get along while we were at Pi. I treated her poorly and she treated me the same. hen you heard about this, you sat us all down in the TV room in our old house on Hayden Street s a family and talked to us about the importance of family togetherness and used the single stick/bundle of sticks comparison to make it fun for those who were just having a fun time at Family Home evening. It taught me the importance of respect for other people. 
     This one has not really had much shining from me in many forms because I have always been selfish and slow to do things unless I know or can see how they impact or can impact me. But from this point on I had an increased awareness of the importance of all human life which was further developed thanks to your love of scouting and for sharing that love with us. 
     A fourth experience is when I was twelve and I had to tell you what I had been doing in the late hours of the night by myself because you were my Bishop and my Father it was especially hard for me to come to you and tell you everything that I'd done because I knew it was wrong and I feared that you wouldn't ever love me the same or at all. 
     You showed me the importance of being understanding, non-judgemental and taught me more about the atonement so I could grasp the concept of the atonement and the importance of second chances. I have since ad to have these conversations with other bishops but they always echo that which you told me first, those many years ago. Forget yourself and let the Lord work through you. Tis is the best way to Repent, and to be a Saint. 
     A fifth experience that took place when I was thirteen or fourteen and attending 8th grade at school. I was getting bullied by many people because I was awkward, new, and all around an easy target because of my personality and lack of social experience. 
     You taught me how to stand up for myself verbally, and physically and I took your advice. I threw one kid again a locker and made him cry before the teachers saw what was going on and rushed to separate us. You taught me how to use my strength both physically and mentally to help myself and through that and the love of scripture studying that you instilled in me at the tender age of four to five years old I was able to learn how to use this same strength for others help and benefit Ina righteous way. 
     A sixth experience was when I was 15 or so and wrestling in school. You taught me some of the things that you knew from your time on school and also how to mentally fortify myself because you knew that the whole sport for me wouldn't be the physical side, but rather the mental battle. You instilled in me the ability to discipline myself whenever the situation called for it. 
     You don't know this but maybe you have or could have guessed it, but that mental fortifying is the main reason I am able to serve a mission. It's kept me from losing to a very bitter adversary of mine, time and time again when all I had to do was nothing, or almost that. But because of everything that I'd learned thus far, it was less of a struggle for me to remove myself from temptation. 
     Most recently at the age of nineteen, you taught me the importance of temples when you went through with me my first time and were crying. There weren't any resounding words from you that day, but just through the way you treated the occasion and from the way you looked at me as I struggled with my lack of the happenings and technicalities that take place there, was enough to root in my breast a love for the temple and it's importance in this life and the life to come. Also, that actions do speak louder than words, especially if words won't do at all. 
     

     I Love You Dad,

Anziano Anderson

P. S. I can call for Christmas on the 24th, 25th, or 26th but only for one of those days and I'm 7 hours (or 8?) ahead of you. 
P. P. S. I love you

No comments:

Post a Comment