Monday, November 19, 2018

Agrigento, the birthplace of Stella


     Ciao tutti! 

     This has been quite a week for me. I know I say that every week, but it's true! every week is more and more involved than the last because I'm able to understand more and more of what's being said and more frequently now, I'm making friends with all the members in the wards I'm assigned to. I want to talk about a few things in this email, some fun, others a little more serious. But overall I want you all to know that I love you, and that I wish the best for you always! 

Pizzas Eaten: 39
Gelato: 29
Book's of Mormon: 55 (this number hasn't changed a lot because we don't have any copies of the book to give out here in Agrigento. We've ordered some though) 

1. Comparison. Stop It. 
2. Audio Recordings
3. English Course in Agrigento
4. Other Things Worth Mention
5. Coolest Thing of the Week

Comparison. Stop it. 

     First off I want to start by saying how important it is that we never compare ourselves to others. Ever. It will destroy you if you do. Mentally, spiritually, just don't do it. However, self comparison is encouraged. Compare yourself, who you are, with yourself, who you were. For me, I did a lot of self comparison this past week with who I was just before I went into the MTC and who I am as of today while I write this email. I will attach pictures of my first day in Italy and then one of today to show you just how much I've changed physically in the four months that I've been gone. 
     Other changes that can't be seen in a photograph would include my ability to speak and understand the language. Never once have I felt like I've gotten the language down, even a little, while I was in the MTC. I knew I was the worst Italian speaker in the whole group, and it wasn't for lack of trying. But since I've been here in Italy, my ability to speak in Italian and to understand other people when they speak has improved to the point where I can almost start telling jokes. I can understand them, but just not deliver them quite yet. Spiritually, I'm doing well. I'm more in tune with the spirit and less and less afraid to act on the promptings that I recieve no matter what they are. 

Audio recordings

     I've been getting mixed feedback on the audio recordings in place of these emails so I think I've found a way to make everyone happy in that regard, which you will see in the end of the email. 

English course in Agrigento

     English course! If there is one thing I look forward to twice every week it's English course. The people here are awesome and my advanced English course likes to debate. That's how they choose to learn and practice English. I get to use my big English vocabulary while I talk (slowly because they are good, not great yet but on their way) and they ask me what the words are that I use. We discuss things like the American culture and then the things like that. After a heated debate on gun control and consumerism however, I decided to start choosing the subjects that we discussed and that way it doesn't devolve into a massive argument like the first time. 
     After our course on Thursday (Giovedì) we were asked to stay a little longer by one person, an older lady by the name of Francesca. She is currently attending two English courses. Ours, and another that a native Italian speaker is teaching. Naturally the two teaching styles and methods clash a little bit, but not too badly. I mention this because we stayed with this lady for an hour after course to help her with her English homework from her other course, and during the whole thing, we got an appointment this next Thursday to teach her about the plan of salvation. She is a wonderful women who is just going through a bit of a rough patch in her life and is trying so very hard to improve herself. 
      I offered to give her a blessing of comfort and she accepted and then started to recite a prayer in Italian but stopped and looked confused when she saw how confused and lost I was. A blessing here is a little different then the blessings in our church, and I happened to forget this fact. But that was alright because it allowed us an opportunity to teach. 
     One more fun tidbit of information about English Course: the English course attendees outnumber our church members by about four to one, almost five to one. 

Other things worth mention

     The rest of this week involved me eating my first Gelato in Sicilia and let me tell you, it's a whole new meaning for the term "Ice cream sandwich" because they literally put to Gelato in a brioche bun and hand it to you with a little spoon so you can eat all the stuff spilling out of it. 
     Another thing I noticed is how this city, Agrigento, is the city of cats. I walk outside and in the few hundred meters it takes me to get from our very nice apartment to our preferred finding area, I see no less than 15-20 cats either grooming themselves, killing each other or just glaring at us. 
     The people in Sicilia are also more ambient. There are less of them here than in Napoli but I've seen more people slap each other in the week that I've been here than in the four months I was in Castellammare. I don't have a whole lot more to say other than my companion, Anziano Tucker, is teaching himself how to play the ukulele (soprano for those of you who want to know) and because of this decision I get serenaded nightly in Italian to a few newly learned chords. 

Coolest thing of the week

     The coolest thing that happened to me this week was after English course on Tuesday, one of the people who has been attending regularly and is also and English teacher who has a great vocabulary but wants to be able to speak faster and with more confidence (which is why he attends course in the first place) saw me struggling to conjugate for reflexive verbs and a few tenses (past, ancient, future, conditional, etc) so he offered to teach me Italian on Saturday and Wednesday for as long as I'm here for the last hour of our day. It's very much Ike the MTC, but I understand most of what he's saying which is new to me. I'm expanding my vocabulary more and more each day, and these courses are really helping me with that. 

*Bonus Section!*

     Thanksgiving is almost here, and I have no recipes other than one for cheesecake and another for stuffed chili's! I love both of those things, but I'm trying to compile a recipe book while I'm out and I need help to do that. Your assignment for the week is to send me one recipe that you love, and I don't care it's for. Cookies, bread, meat, whatever. Here is a recipe for all of you that I found here in Italy for cookies. There are a lot of old cookbooks floating around the mission, so I find these and compile them into the best recipes that each book has to offer. This week the recipe will be for Dolce (Sweets) and next week will be for an antipasto (Starter/appetizer). 

You will need:
4 cups chocolate chips (broken candy bars taste better but it's good as long as it's chocolate) 
2 2/3 cups flour
1 Tsp. Baking Soda
1. Tsp salt
1 cup softened butter
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 Tsp vanilla extract
3 eggs

Drections: 
Combine flour, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl. In a large bowl, mix butter, white and brown sugar, and the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Next, melt two cups of chocolate over low heat, or in the microwave using 20 second intervals, stirring until melted and smooth. Mix this chocolate in with the eggs and sugar. Gradually stir in the flour mixture. Once flour has been stirred in, add the other two cups chocolate (not melted). Drop by rounded tablespoons onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake for 8 - 9 minutes at 375° Fahrenheit or until cookies are puffed. Cool for two minutes before moving to a wire cooling rack to cool completely. Makes about 4 dozen cookies. 

Until next week! 

Anziano Anderson

P. S. I can't follow links to sites because Google is  blocked on all our devices.

1. Me, August 8th when I got in country. 258 pounds, no clue what was going on. 
2. Me, today. 244 pounds, still not sure what's going on but getting there.
3. I didn't know batman was part of the avengers! 
4. Markets here in Agrigento. This one was selling honey.
5. My ice cream sandwich
6. I'm too big for Italy
7. All those tags! 
8. A tad bit more information












No comments:

Post a Comment