Sunday, July 21, 2019

Hey, sorry it's been a hot minute since we spoke last!


      There are a few things that I've picked up during my time here in Italy. The first and foremost is the ability to speak Italian and to translate better than I did with my Hat/chapel blunder mishap a few months ago. The second would be the need to have to shave every day. I remember in the MTC when I could get away with just over twice a week and then how a few months ago it became every other day. This transfer past however, it's been every single day because you can see it if I don't. Guess this means I got some hairy genes from you after all!

      I don't really have a super big reason for writing this letter. I just realized that I have less than a year left and that my Sorelle are going home in five months from two days ago. Is that fair in my book? Not really. But, it just means I'll be that much better at the language when I make it home. I do have a few questions for you about your mission because as I go about my time here, I realize how much you haven't  told me about the logistics of your time in the Philippines. 

     For example, did you ever train? How did you get along with companions who really didn't mesh well with your personality? How often did your AP's get switched out? Did you ever serve as an AP? Were you ever emergency transferred?  What was the big talk or preferred apostle/general authority going around your mission? I realize that you didn' t exactly serve with technology the way I am, and you certainly were not in the same part of the world, but I want to know more about how your mission worked as a missionary in the field. 

      One thing that we have in common now about the way that our missions work is how our mission presidents don't speak the language. President Smith served here forty (?) years ago and told us he's done nothing to keep up the language. This is evidenced by the fact that I've translated for him twice since I've seen him. Both times for about a hour, but he speaks enough to get by. Sort of like a missionary in their third transfer, mid fourth. 

     I'm doing what I can on my own whenever I have a companion that really doesn' t want to work. Last transfer was rough with that, because I didn't know how to help a missionary who was being very apostate and it didn't help that he was my companion. I feel as though I wasted the six weeks that made up my last transfer because we rarely left the house barely taught, and just had opposing ideas on everything. I saw the way the justification can be used to attempt to make apostasy ok. No matter what you say, infinity war clips are not missionary appropriate. This was something we disagreed on hotly. I can go on, but I was trying to be the one to advance the work.

     We met with a man who had interest fairly often, and these teaching visits were usually the only reason we would leave the house. In our second lesson, I felt overwhelmed while bearing testimony to extend a baptismal invite. I knew we hadn't talked much about baptism up until this point, but we had just taught the plan of salvation, and as I was testifying I invited him to be baptized. At first, he was a little confused because Italian is also his second language, so he asked for me to repeat the invite, but slower. My companion was glaring at me and shaking his head at me while sitting just behind our friend and tried to talk over me to cut out the invite. But, the man asked e to repeat myself a third time, so I did. He accepted the invite, and all the other things we asked him to do before he left. 

     Once he left earshot and was down the stairs of the church entryway, my companion started to swear at me and just tell me how horrible a missionary I was, and how we both needed to feel prompted to extend the invite because he heard it in some non-canonized BYU talk. While I realize I stepped on some toes there, I know a prompting when I feel one. Immediately after I said that, he pushed me out of the way and got on the church computer to look up some marvel music or something, so he could "de-stress". This lead to an intense discussion that I don't want to type out in which we called each other out on the things we weren't doing and those which we were. Happy to say I was in the right in most everything I said, but I had to convince my past companion that the way he was acting was not becoming of a missionary. I just don't know if there was something else I could have done, or should have done. 

     And while those six weeks sucked, I will never allow them to happen again. Patience was tested, I never resorted to physical violence or threats, and I used a lot of cold anger whenever he would blow up to remind him that he shouldn't be here for himself. That's something else I learned from last transfer. I'm not here for myself. If I was, I would be a much worse person. Thanks to the close proximity I had with someone who right now, is only here for themself. It reminded me of myself at the start of my mission honestly, and I hate that it does. I'm doing better now, and my current companion and I actually have history together in the mission. It's awesome stuff. 

      I hope you have a wonderful day and that the weight loss is still ongoing! I don't know where you're sitting with that right now, but I'm excited to see you and the family in just under a year when you come to get me! I also want you to know that I love you, I respect you and I didn't show that enough or at all in the year or so before I left on my mission. I know we don't always see eye to eye, but I'm glad we don't. Because sometimes, different ways of looking at the same thing can be a blessing in disguise. May we learn this blessing together! 

     Your faithful son and servant of the Lord, 

Anziano Anderson

No comments:

Post a Comment