Thursday, May 16, 2019

This is a little late, Here's why


Ciao tutti! ciao ciao ciao, 

     Excuse me for the late email, it's been a crazy week and this is the first time I've had a chance to write a weekly or any emails at all this week. No one received any emails last Monday because I was in Napoli trying to pick up my permesso. If that story sounds old to you, it's because it is. I started this whole journey my first three days in country almost an whole year ago. It will be a year in three weeks. And so, because the card has existed for this whole time but because I didn't have it, it expires in 6 weeks from today. So, I'll have to start over on this whole process sometime soon. 

Pizza: 56

Gelato: 44

Books of Mormon: 77

     This whole week was nuts, and I ended up seeing many things that I never thought I would. But, I suppose that's what a mission does to people. I just never expected to see anything like this. last week on Monday, it was rather chill. I studied colleges for after the mission a little bit, and then we made some food and found one of those "mark the children's height on the wall when something big happens" places in this house. It starts in the year of 1982 and goes all the way until 1992. There are things written on there like "moved to Milan" and "Finally passed his brother up" and I thought that was so cool!

     When Tuesday rolled around the day after Monday (as it usually does) we received a referral from the Sorelle (sister missionaries) to go and visit an older man cause he wanted a book of Mormon and  visit with us about our beliefs. The visit was THE most interesting visit I've had my whole mission. We started of with our names, found out he was legally blind, and we asked if we could say a prayer. He said he'd never prayed a day in his life and then started to talk about the holocaust immediately after that statement. 

     Weird, but ok. 

     Immediately after this, he pulled a whole bunch of photo albums out of nowhere and showed us photos of the holocaust that were photos of his ancestors, and he asked us why God would allow things like this to happen. When he said "this" he pointed to some very gruesome photos. I didn't have the chance to say "oh, because it was prophesied by the prophets after the jews crucified our lord and savior Jesus christ" before he said that he believes in Jesus christ and not God. 

     Stranger than weird, but ok? 

     He then listed a few of his other beliefs like how Adam and eve only had Cain and Able, and if they are the parents of every person who lives today, how could this be if their kids were both male? And if one killed the other? We pointed him to the 6th chapter in Genesis where it states the posterity of Adam and Eve, and where they had many sons and daughters. This led to a pause in the lesson because he wanted to check his version of the Bible to make sure we were reading the same book. We were. He thought it strange, and then we continued. No moral agency. Every is doing exactly what Jesus (because he doesn't believe in God) wants us to do, and we only feel as though we have choices. 

     OK, I'm lost at this point. I don't know what he's been reading. But, I do know that's not true. 

     After another twenty minutes explaining why moral agency is actually something we have and why it's important to the plan of salvation and our personal salvation (moral agency Is the ability to shoose right or wrong, to follow Jesus or the Devil) we were an hour and fifteen minutes in, and we had other places we needed to be. So, we left a Book of Mormon with his man, our testimonies of God and his son, Jesus christ, and we walked home just buzzing with the weird factor that came from those beliefs. He was a smart man, not crazy, just very unbiblically educated and he used very big words to prove his points, which we shut down with very simple phrases. 

     Moving on to Wednesday, seeing as it follows Tuesday, we had district council, and the Sorelle who sent us the referall that we met with yesterday asked us how it went. We showed them, by doing a "finding role-play" where they were given minimal information about what I believed (as I was playing the man from yesterday) and then told to prepare for two minutes to teach for five. The role-play was very similar to how it was yesterday, and the sorelle were baffled by the things I was saying. I was parroting, but it sounded weird overall. 

     When Anziano Inkley and I made it home that night, we made Brownies to give to the senior couple who would be coming over in the next day or two for an apartment inspection. But, our oven is old and someone who designed it needs to have their license revoked because te heat gauge goes from 1 to 10. I don't know what that means, but it acts like a giant toaster. Anything after the "3" setting burns and it goes way too far by going all the way to "10". We burned the Brownies, tries to eat them, they made us sick, and we puked as a companionship off and on throughout the night. Never doing that again. 

     Thursday morning was full of travel and a doctor's appointment for me. He poked me, prodded me, and said to come back in a week and a day on the Friday after tomorrow because of the bump I have in my arm, and one in my leg. Pretty sure that they are cysts, but he wants them out, so I'll be getting those cut out soon enough (seeing how I'm writing this a week to the day after this visit, I go in tomorrow) and then we'll see what they are. On the way home, we say a jazz band performing live in a metro underground stop, and when we entered the metro itself, we were flash mobbed by a chamber coir who just started to belt out music in a metal pill that was the metro we were riding to our home. We spoke with them a bit, translated the questions for an agnostic who wanted to know why they were singing about God when "God doesn't exist and they're wasting their time". We didn't translate that part for them but I distracted them with other questions while my companion spoke to Mr. Agnostic about what we do as missionaries. He still doesn't believe in God, but he couldn't put up a better argument than "because He doesn't!" after we were finished. Italians are such strange people. 

     Friday was the day of apartment inspections. The senior couple did not eat the poisoned Brownies, because we had either eaten them before we knew what they were going to do to us, or thrown them out when we figured out how much they hated their creators. We passed with flying colors, and they said we had a nicer house then they did. If that's true, I feel sorry for them because our house is liveable, but it's certainly not luxurious. Although with only two people here, it is roomy. I miss the other two anziani, but I understand and life goes on and they have both told me that they will be coming back out in six months or less! Love you both, because I know you're going to read this! 

      After the inspection, we cleaned out the "dead closet" which is basically the accumulation of clothes that are left behind by missionaries who are going home or who are unable to take them due to weight restrictions and so they leave them there for the next guy. It's basically a local thrift store where everything is free for the people who live there. But, I was all too big for my companion, way too small for me, or just ratty and not worth keeping. We broke a lot of clothing, not going to lie. But, now there are just a few, choice, articles of clothing for the following missionaries to take. 

     Saturday was the day before the festa della mamme (mothers day) so I was able to call my family and speak with them for a good hour before the mothers day dinner in the church building where I made my call was held. In this dinner, I had doctor pepper and doritos. I have not had either of those for a year, and while it was good, it tasted so fake. The soda was too salty, and the doritos were very strange as well. I ate them, but I don't think I will if I have the choice between them and a nice pasta. Call me Italian, but I'm starting to forsake American junk food. Peanut butter is the only thing that hasn't changed for me, but it's very hard to find here and expensive when you do find it.

     That morning, we also went and hour and a half one way to give a blessing to a lady who had fallen down the stairs a few days before, and while there we saw an American mustang. Boy, nothing sounds like American muscle when it's ripping down the street way faster than it needs to or is legal. She appreciated our willingness to come down, and once the blessing was given, we were attacked my a crazy goose. Luckily, there was a fence, but goose honks are something else lemme tell you what. A dog? sure. Bark bark, and you're n the look out. But, a goose? You hear this unearthly wheeze like noise that grows into tormented screams and I don't care who you are, when you see the teeth on the side of it's tongue coming at you, you will make yourself scarce. I'm sure of it. 

     Ah yes. Monday again. A whole week that came and went. This email is a tad longer than most, but I'm sure this will make up for it. I was alone, almost all day on Monday, from 9:00 to about 19:30 (7:30pm) an whole ten and a half hours. The train ride over was two hours, my time in Napoli was five hours and my train home was another three hours, but after I saw two people snort cocaine, one inject some sort of illicit substance and another smoking two joints at once, I had been there about an hour and managed to buy some food at Decò. The man there recognized me after six months away, and he quoted my order to me before I could. I was impressed, he made it for me and while I ate my sandwiches, I started to talk to a lady who sat next to me on a public bench. 

     She was nice, and asked me why I was eating a sandwich instead of a pizza. She then told me all about napoletano food and I nodded through bites as I told her stories about me eating those foods at the places she suggested and for half an hour we just talked about food and missionary work. The people here are so much more willing to speak to you about everything and I love them for it. 

     I received my permesso, made it onto the train, my phone died, and then I taught an old Italian couple for two hours on the way home about my church, why I'm a missionary and how much God loves them. They were the kind of people who thought that "as long as you're trying your best, and go to church, God doesn't care what church it is" and that lead to some interesting discussions as well. We wished each other the best and then went our own ways. 

     I'm ending this email on Monday, and I'll write about all the rest of the stuff as it occurs in my next (hopefully punctual) email. Photos to follow this email as a second email, I love all your faces! 

My invite for you all Is this: Read the Book of Mormon. It sounds like a simple thing, and indeed it is. Sit down, pull it down off the shelf or out of the case it has, or pull it up on your phone if you don't feel like reading. It will read itself to you digitally. In this way, the deaf can hear the words of the lord, the blind can see the light of Christ growing in themselves and the ones who doubt will feel their faith growing in them as it states in Alma chapter 32:27-28. The verses that spurred me to get my life together and serve a mission when the going got tough and I wasn't sure if I wanted to try. It says this:

But behold, if ye will awake and arouse your faculties, even to an experiment upon my words, and exercise a particle of faith, yea, even if ye can no more than desire to believe, let this desire work in you, even until ye believe in a manner that ye can give place for a portion of my words.
     Now, we will compare the word unto a seed. Now, if ye give place, that a seed may be planted in your heart, behold, if it be a true seed, or a good seed, if ye do not cast it out by your unbelief, that ye will resist the Spirit of the Lord, behold, it will begin to swell within your breasts; and when you feel these swelling motions, ye will begin to say within yourselves—It must needs be that this is a good seed, or that the word is good, for it beginneth to enlarge my soul; yea, it beginneth to enlighten my understanding, yea, it beginneth to be delicious to me.

     Don't make excuses, because someday soon your time will be up and you will be as one of the five foolish virgins who were not prepared for Christ's coming.

Ciao for now! 

Anziano Anderson

No comments:

Post a Comment