Wednesday, December 12, 2018

We did a Blitz!


Buongiorno tutti! 

     At least, it's morning where I am when I wrote this. Some fun stuff happened, some stuff that only happens when you are on a mission happened as well and I'll cover all of those things in this email. 

Pizzas eaten: 41
Gelato: 34
Books of Mormon: 55


Christmas In Italy

     Let me start by saying that christmas decorations here in Italy are rather awesome and they have more than just one holiday in the month of December. For example, last Friday it was Prenatel Coception Day where they celebrate Mary being pregnant without the help of a man. More or less. It's prettier then it sounds but it still sounds weird. They use it as a sort of labor day where everyone gets a day off and they do whatever they want, like what we do in the states. I'm in Sciacca right now as I type this, so I will include some of the cool Christmas decorations that I took pictures of at the end of this email. 

Blitz in Sciacca

     I haven't done much on my preparation days since I've been in Agrigento but let me tell you what we decided to do yesterday on Sunday. Anziano Tucker and I were sitting at our desks doing our studies and such when the phone rings. We pick up and the Anziani on the other line are blasting Pentatonic Christmas music. Promptly, we hung up. They called back immediately and told us that we should come down to Sciacca so we could blitz the city and then hangout with them for our preparation day. A blitz by the way, is when one or two pairs of Anziani from another city all go to one city and we hit the streets together, like how the TJ's do every Saturday. But there are less of us and more of them. Still, it's fun and no one knows when they will happen. 
     We managed to grab the only bus that was running from Agrigento to Sciacca and it left half an hour after we got the call. That meant we needed to get packed and b at the station in the next 15 because the bus left at 3. We got packed, and enjoyed the almost two hour ride up to Sciacca where we got off the bus in a rush as well because Italians don't mess around when it comes to their work. In my haste I forgot my toiletries on the bus so I'm just thankful that the Anziani here had a spare toothbrush for me. 
     After an awesome night of finding with a member from the ward here, we went to the Pier they have here. It's not like what you are thinking of, a wooden and dinky little thing. It took us ten minutes to walk from one side to the other and the whole thing is made of concrete. It's the kind of port where you can fit a whole fleet of tourist boats and still have room for more. It's one of the biggest ports in Sicilia. There are concrete blocks the size of four refrigerators all along the whole side to act as wave breakers. It was fun to run down that at night, with some pictures to follow. 

Transfer week! 

     Transfer calls happen today, and the members know it. They like Anziano Tucker a lot and every day for the past week they have called asking if we know if he's leaving or if I'm leaving. Every time they call we tell them that we won't know until Monday (today) and we'll call them when we do but they always forget that part and call us the next night between nine and nine thirty at night. We got our calls very early in the morning and Anziano Tucker and I are not going anywhere, we stay in Agrigento for another transfer. I think next transfer day he's going to be moved out and I'm going to either receive a new companion who has been here for a while or I'm going to start training, but we shall see. 

Cool thing of the week

     This week we also went to the mall that we have in Agrigento and we bought some hamburgers from burger King because we both wanted burgers that weren't half pork half beef and we needed light bulbs for the house. While we were sitting down enjoying our burgers (or rather, about to) an older, homeless man, ran up to me and put his hand in my face with the few coins he had in it and started tapping my tag semi-aggressively and gesturing to my food while breathing in my ear in his siciliano dialect, which I couldn't understand at all. I didn't know what to do so I just started eating and ignored him as best I could. After my third bite he backed away and looked hurt. Said something along the lines of "what kind of priest are you?" (rough translation, the real one is much coarser and not exactly e-mail appropriate) and then shuffled off. 
     Not more than 20 seconds after that old man left, he was replaced by another old man who was patting me on the shoulder and congratulating me for holding my own. He said something along the lines of "his mother didn't raise him right" and "good on you for holding your own" before he pinched my cheek and then wished us good fortune. Italians are fun. 

Italian Culture

     Aside from this, nothing extravagant happened this week. It was just a bunch of fun and little things in the italian culture that made me laugh a little bit when I noticed them. The traffic lights for example, are timer based and not sensor. Their version of "knock on wood" is "touch metal" and they won't shake hands over another person shaking hands because they don't want to form a cross with their arms. They will wait until the first people are done before they shake hands. They also have a bunch of fun little phrases that don't make sense in English without the context of why they say those things. One of them is "breaking boxes" which is what you say after someone has been chewed out for something they did. It's tantamount to the same. 

1. I got a watch for Christmas! 
2. One of the Sciacca Anziani wearing Christmas hat
3. Us at the end of the pier by the signal light
4. Sicilian Ladscape
5. A little video of the Christmas tree here in Sciacca








No comments:

Post a Comment